First off, what does SMART stand for? Specific Measurable Attainable Relevant and Time-bound. This year it’s all about Reading Comprehension and Reading Level.
Osborne School’s SMART Goal 2018-19 is: By June 2019 100% of Osborne Students will be achieving *mastery or proficiency standards or *50% catch up growth or *an individual goal in text level and reading comprehensive.
What we want to do:
- to improve student comprehension of fiction and non-fiction reading
- to enhance instruction/pedagogy – explicit instruction of comprehension strategies when reading
- to promote independent student goal setting
- to have each student gain one grade or reach their 50% goal in text level
Our Reading Motto: Learn to Read, Read to Learn – Big Dreams
Students will be taking part in:
- Reading Contests, Challenges, Assemblies & Celebrations
- Student Reading Goal
- Reading Awards
- Reading Buddies
Ways To Help Your Child Achieve Success in Reading!
How to Encourage your child to Respond to Reading – suggestions_for_reading_response
The best way to get better at reading is to practice! Finding reading material at home may be difficult, visit a library, try a newspaper, a magazine, online reading, a recipe, or even a note sent home. Check out the picture below. Reading at home for only 20 minutes a night can help your child achieve success in reading!
- Sora: A library full of books for all ages. Choose Sask. Rivers School Division. Students use their username in both username and password. https://soraapp.com/welcome/login/202822
- Switcheroo Zoo: Watch, listen and play games to learn all about amazing animals! www.switcheroozoo.com
- Into the Book: Go “into the book” to play games that practice reading strategies! www.reading.ecb.org
- Storyline Online: Have some of your favorite stories read to you by movie stars! www.storylineonline.net
- ABC YA: Practice reading stills and math all while playing fun game! www.abcya.com
- Highlights Kids: Read, play games, and conduct cool science experiments! www.highlightskids.com
- Reading Connection: https://www.srsd119.ca/?page_id=703